Monday, April 10, 2017

#NaPoWriMo Day 10


Prompt: A portrait of someone

As much as I resist,
Being anyone but myself.
I cannot deny the similarities,
The carry-over effect of genes.

Like you,
I love my beauty sleep,
Being silly to make others laugh
The ability to cry with strength.

The weirder things too:
Making funny incomprehensible sounds at little humans
The annual midnight Maggi routine
Or love for food in general.

Beyond that lies the mysterious things -
The shut-the-door OCD,
Feet washing ritual before bed
Fierce independence yet attachment.

Then of course, the blatant mirroring:
My eyes, hair, nose, skin -
Like yours
Created over the nine sweet months.

I see you when I see myself,
My sweet, adoring Ma,
This poem is a (self) portrait -
Of the magnitude of our love.

Art by S.Ilayaraja

No comments:

Post a Comment