Tuesday, April 30, 2019

NaPoWriMo Day 24


marine surrender 🐠

The ocean draws me towards her,
Tranquil and blue like the perfect dream.

I try and remember what the guide said,
But once I look down,
Into the great unknown,
I forget everything -
How to breathe with the apparatus,
How to look out for deadly box jellyfish,
How to stay afloat or swim.

A school of parrotfish appear,
Without a thought, I find myself swimming along,
In awe of every new hidden creature,
That makes it presence felt.

I discover the magic of coral reefs,
Alive and breathing on the ocean floor,
Pages of geography textbook coming to life,
In front of my unbelieving eyes.
The lack of experience or expertise be damned,
The art of snorkeling comes naturally,
And as I venture deeper,
Little by little,
The smile widens so much that surely,
The fish must think I’m crazy.

Every inch of the sea I see,
I surrender myself completely.
So when the white tip reef shark swims by to say hello,
As the guide said it does 73% of the time,
I greet it back with respect and a nod,
A secret admirer of its savage beauty.

Hours after we emerge from the sea -
I still see blue everywhere -
In the cloudy skies, before the drizzle begins,
In the shimmering waters, 50 shades of blue.
I have never been so alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment