Tuesday, April 9, 2019

NaPoWriMo Day 8

Prompt: inspired by Maggie Smith’s Good Bones / about the argot of a particular profession 

On some days, I become an unpaid therapist. 
It is most certainly not the kind of client any therapist would want,
For the child-adult-parent balance is off the charts,
Before the damage is even considered.

She wishes to vent.
I am forced to listen. 
And to suggest, an act that makes me cringe when done to me or demanded of,

The recurring hollow feeling inside me: 
I feel like an imposter has taken over my body, my identity faked beyond repair.

Is this as difficult for my own therapist?
With every unbearable session ending with me whining about unchangeable circumstances.
Sigh.

Is paying someone to tolerate your woes humane enough?
You have left me with scars,
Tortured me beyond repair, 
With your cries of help, 
This is not my job, 
Or is family all about this?
I don’t think I want to know.

#napowrimo2019 #glopowrimo #poetry #mentalhealth #therapy #day8

No comments:

Post a Comment